Some of the Wildlife I Have Come Across In The Field

While hiking around Florida I have come across a variety of wildlife. As of this post, none of them have threaten me to any great degree -
  • Alligators - from very small to very, very large
  • Snakes of all kinds - Water Moccasins, Coral, Pygmy Rattlers, Timber Rattlers, Garter, Black Racers, Indigo, just water snakes in general and some other small ones
  • All kinds of turtles
  • Gopher Tortoises
  • River Otters
  • Armadillos
  • Opossum
  • Raccoons
  • Coyotes
  • Bobcat
  • Hogs - from small ones to pretty big ones
  • Cattle and Bulls
  • All kinds of wading birds
  • All kinds big birds - Owls, Bald Eagles, Cara-Cara, Ospreys, Hawks, Vultures
  • All kind of songbirds
  • Pileated woodpecker and many other types of woodpeckers
  • Florida Panther - only saw tail as it left a trail I was on, but it was a big tail
I'm sure there are others I've forgotten about. There is a lot to see when you get out and round int fields and woods of Florida.

4 comments:

cameronagordon said...

where were you when you saw the panther? nobody believes me but i saw a panther just before dark in tosohatchee on long bluff road i was in the bed of a truck and saw it cross after we passed by. but it slinked like a cat and had a long tail. i have seen lots of bobcats and this was no bobcat.

Tom Choma said...

I believe that I saw a panther tail as it entered the palmettos in the River Lakes Conservation Area. It was down near the St Johns River, they might wander the river corridor. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see one in Tosohatchee!

Anonymous said...

What is your advice for dealing with boars/feral pigs while hiking?
They seem to be a big problem in this state.

Tom Choma said...

I have run across a lot and I mean a lot of feral hogs while out exploring Florida, some as close as a few feet when we meet on a game trail in tall grass. In all cases I bark like a dog and they run as fast as they can in the opposite direction! So, don't fear pigs as long as you can sound like a dog ;-)