Short Entries About Some Areas I Visited

Some of the areas I visited, just some information and tracks.

Jordan Scrub Sanctuary
EEL property – mostly open, but with some blazed trails. It was a pleasant place to visit.
To see my tracks - Click Here

Malabar Scrub Sanctuary
This vast sanctuary is made up of a number of different sections. Each section has a set of blazed trails. You will encounter a variety of ecosystems as you meander through the area. The one drawback is that the trails are shared with trial bikers. I found the idea of being run over as a walked along a very bad feeling!
To see my tracks of the West Side - Click Here
To see my tracks of the East Side - Click Here

Dicerandra Scrub Sanctuary
This small EEL sanctuary is a pleasant place to stop for a short hike. I went looking for birds and GEOCaches, I did find both. The day I visited the area I had the place to myself. I looked for the plant the sanctuary is named for, Dicerandra, but didn’t see any.
To see my tracks - Click Here

Cruickshank Sanctuary
This small EEL Sanctuary is pretty much out in the open, a true “scrub”. There is a small blazed loop trail you can follow. Being that it is open and sandy, it really could be a tough place in the warmer hotter months. I went looking for birds and GEOCaches, I did find both. The day I visited the area I had the place to myself.
To see my tracks - Click Here

Dick Blake Park (Rockledge Community Park)
This is a pretty vast park. It was once known as the “Rockledge Community Park”, it has since been renamed. It is a true “community” park, with things for everyone to do. I visited the park to explore and wander the vast trails which crisscross the park. I’m not sure of the actual boundaries, so I really ventured around! It also has a variety of GEOCaches to be found if you so wish. A good deal of it is open, so be aware of that.
To see my tracks - Click Here

Enchanted Forest Sanctuary
This is EEL's "home" in northern Brevard county. It has a reception center and a museum. The trails are well laid out and marked well. You also will encounter what is left of the Addison Canal. Many sections are open, so watch the heat! It also has a variety of GEOCaches to be found if you so wish. It is also closed completely on certain days, so check their schedule.
To see my tracks - Click Here

Hontoon Island State Park
This is an actual Island along the St Johns River. In order to get to the island you must wait for the ranger's pontoon boat to come and get you. They do not run a schedule, so just wait! This is another area with a variety of ecosytems. You will encounter swamps and open scrub during a hike around the island. There is a camping area located on the island, both for primitive camping and cabin rentals. There is an abundant area set aside for picnics, so bring your lunch! Many sections are open, so watch the heat! The trails are not always marked, so a GPS is nice to have. It also has a variety of GEOCaches to be found if you so wish. The rangers are wonderful, so make sure you stop and say hello at the small store there.
To see some tracks (not mine) - Click Here

No comments: